Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Mother Tongue

Class is in session! Last Friday was the final exam for our intensive Spanish class, meant to help us brush up on our skills after a summer of disuse. It was a little weird taking a final in September, usually when the first round of tests comes around, but it’s also kind of nice to be able to knock out a class so fast! With the end of that class, though, began the “real” classes. I’ve decided to be a bit of a slacker and only take four classes, but, hey, this is study abroad, right? I need a little break from the intense premed schedule/MCAT studying. Judging from this first week, I think my favorite two classes are going to be “Phonology,” where we learn the origin of the Spanish language and tackle all of its sounds (I’ll admit it, I’m kind of a linguistics dork), and “Women Models in Cervantine Works,” which, I think, is pretty self-explanatory. I hope they live up to my expectations in the weeks ahead!

With all this Spanish buzzing in my ears, though, I needed a little respite, which I found in the English-speaking cafĂ©/bookstore called Bacchus, just a short metro ride away. It’s a great place and I snatched up two books: The Book of Evidence by John Banville and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (one of those books I’ve always wanted to read but have never had the gumption to tackle). For those of you who like great technical writing, a great story and have a little patience, I highly recommend The Book of Evidence (yea, I already finished it…).

The Book of Evidence and an eclair...does it get any better?

Not too much more to say, except that tomorrow morning, bright and early (heading out at 5:30 am!), I’ll be leavin’ on a jet plane for Italy to visit Pisa, Florence, and Rome. I’m a little worried about the hostel situation, which apparently only has a 60-something percent approval but was the cheapest (isn’t college life great?), but I’m sure it will turn out great. I’ll be sure to take a ton of pictures and come back with some good stories!

No comments: