Monday, September 3, 2007

Getting Acquainted

The street performers are everywhere. Coming from a small town, I’m used to someone putting on an impromptu performance during a fair or parade, but I am not joking when I say that here in Madrid they are at every corner, filling the air with music, offering photos with Winnie the Pooh in an undersized “I Love Hunny” t-shirt, or showcasing their mad hackey sack skills.

Guitar player at Retiro

This outgoing, welcoming attitude was not just confined to those people looking for you to drop a few coins their way in gratitude for their performance, but permeates the city as a central component of the culture. Walking into the house of my host, Olga, she welcomed me with “dos besos” – a kiss on either cheek – and an exclamation that this is not just her home, but mine as well for the next three and a half months. This “what’s mine is yours” attitude was seen time and time again as we were introduced to our tutors and explored the city, meeting their friends and being treated like longtime amigos.

During these meanderings, the beauty of Madrid radiated as we explored Retiro Park, a stunning oasis in the heart of the city; a sculpture garden with whimsical modernistic pieces; and the streets of the city, shaded by rows of trees – pictures are below! (Speaking of pictures, now that I’m here I realize all of the amazing sights there are, so this blog will probably end up being half pictures; hope you don’t mind!)

Speaking of new experiences, my first encounter with the Madrid bus and metro system was today. I’ve read everywhere that it is an amazing and extensive system, which I won’t deny, but it takes forever to get anywhere in this city! Of course, I really learned the hard way today when we were supposed to be at our orientation meeting at 10 am and we left our house at 9:20 only to arrive there at 10:20 (we’re talking about going not even halfway across the city.) Maybe any of you from big cities can let me know, but I never dreamed that it would be such an expedition to get across town! While I’m on the topic of transportation, the director of VIS, Carlos Jauregui, told us that we would probably lose five to ten percent of our body weight, which is bad news Monday for me since I’ve been battling to gain weight for the crew team. Luckily, though, when I told my señora this, she assured me that her good cooking would ensure that I wouldn’t lose a pound!

We’re all headed out for a day-trip excursion to Toledo tomorrow, so I’ll be sure to post in the next few days with lots of pictures and hopefully some stories of cool adventures!

No comments: