Thursday, November 1, 2007

GOOOOOOOOOAL

So much time has passed since my last post but, sadly, not much has happened in my life. This unfotunate dearth of activity is due to the fact that last Wednesday to this Wednesday was midterm week! Advanced Spanish Grammar, Spanish Civilization, Phonology, and Women Models in Cervantine Literature, all conspiring to make my week one of studying and, consequently, limited fun. Luckily, they didn't entirely succeed.

On Wednesday Vanderbilt treated a bunch of us to a Real Madrid game (with 45 euro seats...I'm glad my ptogram fee is being used for such sweet events!) So, for those of you not familiar with "football" teams, Real Madrid is basically the Roger Federer of football. Since their founding in 1902 they've won 30 La Liga titles, 17 Copa del Rey, and have been European champions 9 times. All this resulted in FIFA naming them the Best Club of the 20th Century, which seems like a pretty huge deal. David Beckham just left Real Madrid recently for a $250 million contract at the L.A. Galaxy, which basically goes to show you the kind of talent that Real Madrid keeps stocked up.

Real Madrid in white

They play home games at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, which is actually just down the road from my Senora's house, eliminating the need to fight the typical 70,000-person crowd coming in at the metro stop.
View of the stadium from the street outside my apartment

So, taking our Senora-made packed dinner (consisting of an egg and cheese sandwich as well as a tuna one), we headed over to the stadium to watch the game against the Greek Olympiaca team. After 90 solid minutes of being cheered on by my loud-as-possible shouts, Real Madrid was victorious, as expected, with a final score of 4-2.


In other news, my parents get into town to visit in three days! Let's hope I can find a way to show them the greatness of Madrid in the time they're here!

No comments: