Thursday, November 8, 2007

Americans in Madrid

The internet's back! You have no idea how excited this makes me; being able to get internet from my desk is a truly uplifting experience. The New York Times, in a great article on the study-abroad experience, tries to convince me that this fickle access to the world wide web is a good thing, however, when they declare that "being in a place a dozen time zones away, where Internet service and cellphones are unreliable, provides one of the first chances for true and prolonged independence." The good thing about this renaissance of the G604T wireless network I surreptitiously tap into is that I get to post again and let you know all about the 'rents.

My parents started off their Spain trip with a bang, having their four (rather large) suitcases lost somewhere along the way from Orlando to Madrid. Luckily, they were able to persevere for the luggage-less day and still enjoyed the sights offered by the city. Of course, with them arriving on Sunday morning I had to take them (my mom especially!) to the Rastro, the flea market I first went to in September. Being an inveterate bargain-hunter and lifelong flea market lover, the Rastro was like a playground to my mom. Not being tourists at all [sarcasm], we bought some T-shirts (prominently displaying the classic Toro), a flag for my dorm room (also prominently featuring a bull with the red and yellow background), and my mom went after some other items for Christmas gifts (whose identity shall be withheld, lest the recipients be reading this). With the weather being unseasonably warm (who ever heard of 70 degree weather in November in Madrid?!), I also led them to Retiro park to show them the great man-made lake, the mausoleum of Alonso XIII, the glass palace, as well as to the Plaza Mayor to check out all the sights it has to offer.

Plaza Mayor: cafe central?

One of the best things about parents visiting (other than getting to see them after two months, of course!) is the opportunity to get some great food and experience the "gastronomical" side of the city. Between my seƱora cooking some great meals and the rising prices in Madrid, going out to eat is a rare treat. The first dining stop I made with them was at a little restaurant/bar down the street from my apartment where I introduced my mom to the wonders of Spanish tortilla (great site with a recipe and step-by-step pictures...try to make some for yourself!). The waiter also overheard me telling my parents about the paella I enjoyed in Valencia and brought out a plate of shellfish paella free-of-charge! Now that's what I call service! The next stop was Bazaar, a Mediterranean restaurant in Chueca, a Madrid neighborhood that most definitely has its own personality. My dad and I had some buey tierno, which translates to tender ox, which was much more delicious than it sounds. The best part was dessert; I followed Fodor's recommendation and got the chocalatisimo, the most notable feature of which was that it came with a dinner plate covered about one-fourth of an inch deep in dark and white chocolate. By the time I was done eating, I was sweating! Last but not least on our list of dining-out experiences was El Botin, which has the distinction of being the oldest restaurant in the world (as determined by the Guinness Book of World Records).
One of the dining rooms at El Botin

Not having closed its doors since 1725 (that's 51 years before the Declaration of Independence), the restaurant was full of nooks and crannies, steep stairs, and a lot of history. Their specialties are roast suckling pig and roast leg of lamb, both of which were delectable.

Parents posing outside El Botin

This weekend we'll be heading out to Salamanca, and I'll be sure to bring my camera to document our adventures (something I've been forgetting recently...forgive me!).

Most fulfilling (and filling) picture of the week:

34 power bars, courtesy of my mom, after hearing of my previous struggles

Craziest picture of the week:
The largest bra ever, with my mom's (normal sized) hand as size reference

As a side note, since it doesn't really have anything to do with anything in this post, I made treasurer of crew! I'm just excited about it and wanted to share. Peace.

1 comment:

Jean X. said...

your parents are so cute! haha, it's so cool that they came out to spain! :) and also, a few of my friends are doing crew; that's cool that you're treasurer of that!